1. Children’s author Judith Kerr celebrates her 90th birthday this year.Which two titular animals feature in her most famous books, one a picture book about an uninvited dinner guest, one a novel set during the Second World War?
The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
3. Earlier this year a new version of Sense and Sensibility was published. Who wrote it?
4. Which two comic book series were translated into Scots this year?
5. Piffy, Bing and Bird are the nicknames of which set of sisters?
The Du Maurier sisters Angela, Daphne and Jeanne
6. The Scottish Book Trust held a public vote to decide the nation’s favourite Scottish novel of the past 50 years. Which book came out on top?
Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
7. Which series of travel books is named after a thirteenth century Venetian traveller?
8. The latest Terry Pratchett novel shot straight to the top of the charts this year, beating Ian Rankin’s new book to the top spot. What is the latest Discworld novel called?
9. Ian Rankin’s new book obviously didn’t do too badly either. Can you name it?
10. This thriller was published in paperback in early January, and held a spot in the Official UK Top 50 until the middle of October, making it the most successful paperback novel of 2013. No doubt sales will pick up again once the film is released in 2014. What is the book, and who wrote it?
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
11. David Walliams has turned out to be one of Britain’s most successful children’s authors, and his latest novel, Demon Dentist, is still in the bestseller charts. Can you name two more novels by him?
12. Can you identify the popular children’s book from this picture clue?
For the next few questions we’re looking for what these authors, books or characters have in common:
13. Arthur Conan Doyle, Anton Chekhov, W. Somerset Maugham
They were all qualified medical doctors
14. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Green Mile by Stephen King
Adapted as films starring Tom Hanks
15. Ulysses by James Joyce, After Dark by Haruki Murakami, Saturday by Ian McEwan
Novels set on a single day
16. Anna Sewell, Harper Lee, Emily Bronte
Published one novel
17. Harry Potter, Huckleberry Finn, Jane Eyre
18. Harry Potter travels to school in a train, departing from London Kings Cross. What is the platform number?
Nine and three quarters
19. Name the book title and author from this picture clue
20. Finally, which poet was the first female Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom?
Carol Ann Duffy