New additions like Alison Bechdel’s graphic novel Are you my mother? and John O’Farrell’s The man who forgot his wife have generated strong reactions from critics and are sure to do so among book groups as well. Throw in a few classics, some thought-provoking non-fiction and the cream of contemporary Scottish novelists and you’ve got the perfect mix of books for your group to read, debate and discuss.
Each title on our list of books for book groups has a link to a page where you can see what other readers thought of the book as well as submit your own thoughts and opinions.
How to borrow books for your book group
If you’re a member of a book group in Edinburgh you can borrow up to fifteen copies of a particular book for your book group to use for 6 weeks. It’s so easy, and even better, it’s all free!
- Choose a person from your bookgroup to join as a Library Book Group member.
- Get a Book Group ticket at your nearest library.
- Choose the book you’d like to read – take your pick from these titles
- Call 0131 242 8046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book the collection.
- Pick up and return collections to your nearest library.
If you already have a library card you can still use it for your own personal reading. The book group ticket is an extra card for borrowing multiple copies of the same book.