Just for fun.. here are some of the questions from our recent Edinburgh Reads Big Book Quiz. Warning – it’s not easy!
Check the answers here to see how many you get right.
1. Children’s author Judith Kerr celebrates her 90th birthday this year.Which two titular animals feature in her most famous books, one a picture book about an uninvited dinner guest, one a novel set during the Second World War?
2. Here’s the cover of a popular recent novel with the author and title taken off. Can you name the book and its author?
3. Earlier this year a new version of Sense and Sensibility was published. Who wrote it?
4. Which two comic book series were translated into Scots this year?
5. Piffy, Bing and Bird are the nicknames of which set of sisters?
6. The Scottish Book Trust held a public vote to decide the nation’s favourite Scottish novel of the past 50 years. Which book came out on top?
7. Which series of travel books is named after a thirteenth century Venetian traveller?
8. The latest Terry Pratchett novel shot straight to the top of the charts this year, beating Ian Rankin’s new book to the top spot. What is the latest Discworld novel called?
9. Ian Rankin’s new book obviously didn’t do too badly either. Can you name it?
10. This thriller was published in paperback in early January, and held a spot in the Official UK Top 50 until the middle of October, making it the most successful paperback novel of 2013. No doubt sales will pick up again once the film is released in 2014. What is the book, and who wrote it?
11. David Walliams has turned out to be one of Britain’s most successful children’s authors, and his latest novel, Demon Dentist, is still in the bestseller charts. Can you name two more novels by him?
12. Can you identify the popular children’s book from this picture clue?
For the next few questions we’re looking for what these authors, books or characters have in common:
13. Arthur Conan Doyle, Anton Chekhov, W. Somerset Maugham
14. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Green Mile by Stephen King
15. Ulysses by James Joyce, After Dark by Haruki Murakami, Saturday by Ian McEwan
16. Anna Sewell, Harper Lee, Emily Bronte
17. Harry Potter, Tom Sawyer, Jane Eyre
18. Harry Potter travels to school in a train, departing from London Kings Cross. What is the platform number?
19. Name the book title and author from this picture clue >
20. Finally, which poet was the first female Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom?
Congratulations to the “Fellowship of the Book Returns” team (pictured below), who answered enough of these questions on the night to be named Big Book Group Quiz Champs 2013.
And thanks once again to our friends at Blackwell’s for helping put the quiz together. Looking forward to next year already!
The book brains of Edinburgh!